Building Name or Description

Block

Lot

Address/ Specification

N.B. #

Era

Decade

Exact Date

Architect

Original Owner

Original Use

Alterations/Notes

Picture Location

Keller Hotel

604A

1

150 Barrow St. (also 384-5 West Street)

63 - 1/27/1897

Late 19th C.

1890's

1898

Julius Munckwirz

William Farrell

hotel and boarding house

Other than the addition of the early 20th century "Keller Hotel" sign and some minor ground floor alterations, this handsome neo-Classical hotel 's façade is virtually intact. After laying vacant for many years with its windows bricked up, it is now being converted ot residential use. One of four great waterfront hotels in the Far West Village along West Street.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00857.JPG

Former Great Eastern Hotel

604A

3

180 Christopher St. (also 386 West St.)

906 - 5/5/1888

Late 19th C.

1880's

1888

John B. Franklin

McKeever Bros.

hotel and boarding house

Originally called the Great Eastern Hotel, then the Palace Hotel, the Hotel Christopher and the River Hotel, now Bailey-Holt House. One of four surviving waterfront hotels in this area along West Street. 1888: "A 5-story hotel of 1858… almost doubled in size and its façade redone when 2 adjoining buildings… were added." 1982 (Alt. #668): addition of penthouse and 6th story, the 1888 facade "altered beyond recognition." Currently used as a hospice.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03013.JPG

604A

6

178 Christopher St.

169 - 2/2/0/1885

Late 19th C.

1880's

1885

Christian F. Ridder, Jr.

Joseph Wills

multiple dwelling with store below

Twin to 176 Christopher St. Upper-floor windows blocked in. Storefront boarded up. Currently undergoing renovations of unknown scope.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01002.JPG

604A

7

176 Christopher St.

169 - 2/20/1885

Late 19th C.

1880's

1885

Christian F. Ridder, Jr.

Joseph Wills

multiple dwelling with store below

Twin to 178 Christopher St; ground floor cast-iron columns bear the raised identifying stamp "Lewis Fink Jr. -- 145 Perry St.".

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01002.JPG

604A

30

144-148 Barrow St.

128 - 8/14/1918

Early 20th C.

1910's

1918

George M. McCabe

Thomas F. Farrell

garage

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03022.JPG

604A

1001-1084

164-174 Christopher St. (also 130-142 Barrow St.)

50 - 3/27/1931

Early 20th C.

1930's

1931

Nathan Rotholz

Barrow St. Corp.

public garage

1980 (Alt. #567): converted to a multiple dwelling. Realignment and replacement of windows, removal of a stepped parapet, addition of duplex penthouses.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03014.JPG

Former U.S. Appraiser's Warehouse for the Customs Service of the Treasury Department/former U.S. Federal Building/former National Archives Building/now The Archives Apartments

604B

33

150 Christopher St. (also 660 Greenwich St., 112-116 Barrow St., 641 Washington St.)

Late 19th C.

1890's

1898

Willoughby J. Edbrooke

U.S. Treasury Department

Warehouse

Designated New York City Landmark, 1966, Altered to apartments, 1987. For more than a quarter century, all imported goods coming into NY requiring examination by customs appraisers went through this building. 1932, other uses introduced by federal gov't, came to be known as the US Federal Bldg. 1938 -- altered for US Post Office Substation and Federal Archives. Facade nearly perfectly intact.

630

1

159-163 Christopher St. (also 649 Washington St.)

233 - 4/5/1879

Late 19th C.

1880's

1880

John B. Snook

Leora Lockwood

multiple dwelling with stores below

Storefront modified, upper floors intact.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00856.JPG

Federal Rowhouse

630

2

651 Washington St.

Early 19th C.

1820's

1829

Est. of Samuel Norsworthy

dwelling with shop below

Fire escape added. Original storefront replaced. No records.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00863.JPG

Federal Rowhouse

630

3

653 Washington St.

Early 19th C.

1820's

1829

Est. of Samuel Norsworthy

dwelling with shop below

1940 (Alt. #2603): addition of rear extension and possibly dormers combined. Currently: ground-floor is an office, upper floors are residential. Doorway

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00863.JPG

Federal Rowhouse

630

4

655 Washington St.

Early 19th C.

1820's

1829

Est. of Samuel Norsworthy

dwelling with tailor shop below

Ground floor modified, fire escapes added, removal of cornice. No records.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00863.JPG

630

5

657 Washington St.

1077 - 8/10/1893

Late 19th C.

1890's

1894

L.J. O'Connor

St. Veronica's R.C. Church

rectory

Currently: hospice of the Missionaries of Charity

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03235.JPG

630

6

659 Washington St.

990 - 6/25/1885

Late 19th C.

1880's

1886

A.B. Ogden and Son

Margaret Shoughnessay

multiple dwelling for 10 families

Retains most original elements. Note basket-shaped fire escapes.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03234.JPG

630

7

661 Washington St.

Alt. #1095 - 5/14/1885

Late 19th C.

1880's

1885

Joseph Dunn

James Roon

multiple dwelling

1885 (Alt. # 1095): "4-story factory converted into a 5-story dwelling with an entirely new façade."

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03234.JPG

Village Community School Addition

630

9

278-280 W. 10th St. (also 665 Washington St.)

Early 21st C.

2000's

2002

Leo J. Blackmun Associates

Village Community School

School Annex

Built in 2002 as an addition to the Village Community School

630

20

692 Greenwich St.

300 - 4/21/1868

Late 19th C.

1860's

1868

John M. Forster

D. & W.H. Milleman

pork packing house

1904 (Alt. #319): converted to lofts with store below. 1985 (Alt. #63): floors 2 to 5 converted to apartments. Windows altered to one large opening per floor.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03027.JPG

630

21

686-690 Greenwich St.

Late 19th C.

1860's

1868

William H. Milleman

multiple dwelling with stores below

1868: erected as 3 adjoining buildings, each approx. 25 ft. wide. 1917 (Alt. #2396): already a single warehouse with store below. 1977 (Alt. # 934): entire building converted to residential.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03026.JPG

St. Veronica's Roman Catholic Church

630

26

149-155 Christopher St.

1303 - 7/19/1889

Late 19th C.

1890's

1890

John J. Deery

John E. Fitzharris

St. Veronica's R.C. Church

1903: interior completed. No discernible changes to the façade.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00855.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03240.JPG

630

29

157 Christopher St.

180 - 4/5/1904

Early 20th C.

1900's

1904

F. Steigleiter

G and C.J. Kuper

offices

Converted to residential above with commercial below.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03238.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00855.JPG

Originally P.S. 107, now Village Community School

630

part of 12

270-274 W. 10th St.

1602 - 12/12/1884

Late 19th C.

1880's

1886

D.J. Stagg

City of New York

public school

Originally P.S. 107, the St. Veronica's R.C. Church's parochial school, now the Village Community School.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00865.JPG

630

part of 12

694 Greenwich St.

281 - 11/26/1945

Early 20th C.

1940's

1946

William J. Minogue

St. Veronica's R.C. Church

garage: 2-car private garage

630

part of 24

684 Greenwich St. (also 141-145 Christopher St.)

Late 19th C.

1870's

1874 as two buildings

Thomas Broadway

western end: 2-story factory, eastern end: dwelling with store

Between 1871 and 1874: extensive alterations of an 1845 shed into two 2-story buildings. 1897: already assessed as one building. 1985 (Alt #3171): alteration of ground-floor façade. Currently: restaurant with multiple dwelling above.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03025.JPG

630

part of 24

147 Christopher St.

1075 - 7/29/1871

Late 19th C.

1870's

1871

Not named

Thomas C. Broadway

multiple dwelling for 3 families with store below

Ground floor modified, but otherwise original façade details entirely intact.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03239.JPG

631

13

134-136 Charles St.

647 - 10/18/1911

Early 20th C.

1910's

1912

Van Vleck and Goldsmith

American Railway Supply Co.

factory

1948 (Alt. #1190): "made 'uniformly two stories and cellar.'" 1965 (Alt. #663): converted into an art gallery. Third story added ca. 1988.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03039.JPG

Oldest House in the Far West Village -- Woodframed, 1820

631

15

132 Charles St.

early 19th C.

1820's

1820

Paeter Parsells and Matthew Armstrong

dwelling

Oldest surviving wood structure in the waterfront area. Façade stuccoed; no record.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01011.JPG

Former Levi Springsteen House

631

16

130 Charles St.

Late 19th C.

1850's

1853

Levi Springsteen

dwelling

Originally a rooming house. 1927 (Alt. #65): converted to apartments. 1964 (Alt. #358): converted to single-family dwelling. 1981 (B.N. 1741): completely renovated.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\Dsc00992.jpg

631

17

128 Charles St. (also 716-718 Greenwich St.)

53 - 1/29/1881

Late 19th C.

1880's

1881

William Jose

Frederick Steinle

multiple dwelling with stores below

Charles St. storefront and fire-escapes are unusually decorative and are original. Greenwich St. storefront and fire-escapes have been modified. Unusual rounded, chamfered corner and stoen streets sign at upper floor.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01012cropped.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01012.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01010cropped.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01009.JPG

631

18

714 Greenwich St.

1376 - 9/22/1888

Late 19th C.

1880's

1889

Frederick Weber

Charles Kyritz

multiple dwelling

1941 (Alt. #2935): stoop removed, present steps installed. Lintels may have been modified.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00994.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03033.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03032.JPG

631

24

702 Greenwich St. (also 267 10th St.)

133 - 6/4/1937

Early 20th C.

1930's

1937

80-82 Carmine St.

trucking, storage and garage

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03029.JPG

631

25

269 W. 10th St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1836

Hannah Jenkins

dwelling

Brick veneer; cornice removed

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00995.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03029.JPG

631

26

271 W. 10th St.

771- 12/29/1910

Early 20th C.

1910's

1911

Charles H. Richter

David Nangle

stable with dwelling above

1967 (Alt. #1053): converted into garage with offices above. 1976 (Alt. #522): altered to multiple dwelling with 1-car garadge. New windows and doors installed.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00995.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03029.JPG

631

27

273 W. 10th St.

686 - 11/14/1878

Late 19th C.

1870's

1879

Robert Mook

Walter Wood

multiple dwelling

Except for minor modifications to the doorway, a nearly perfectly intact 1879 tenement façade. 1928 (Alt. #1943): Center doorway shortened (?), interior partitions erected and relocated, installation of new doors and plumbing.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00995.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03029.JPG

Former Shephard Warehouse

631

part of 1

277 W. 10th St.

784 - 6/22/1894

Late 19th C.

1890's

1896

Martin V.B. Ferdon

James Everard

warehouse

Built in 1894, this mighty Romanesque structure forms, along with the Tower Warehouse and the Archives building, an imposing triumvirate of industrial structures in the Far West Village. Carefully converted to apartments thirty years ago, this and other industrial buildings remained the most visually prominent structures in the Far West Village until the recent arrival of high-rise towers in the area. 1974 (Alt. #303): converted into multiple dwelling and named Shepard House.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00864.JPG

631

part of 1001 - 1002

704-706 Greenwich St.

682 - 11/11/1892

Late 19th C.

1890's

1893

Julius Munckwirz

S. Adler and H.S. Herrman

livery stable

1975 (Alt. #1000): converted into a disco. 1978 (Alt. #107): combined with northern lot into a multiple dwelling.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03030.JPG

631

part of 1001 - 1002

708-712 Greenwich St.

195 - 3/9/1909

Early 20th C.

1900's

1909

Moore and Laudsiedel

Teichman Engineering and Construction Co.

warehouse

1912 (Alt. #2210): extended 25 ft. north and raised to 6 stories from 4. 1978 (Alt. #107): with southern lot, converted into a multiple dwelling.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03031.JPG

632

1

685-687 Washington St. (also 145 Charles St.)

6 - 1/9/1937

Early 20th C.

1930's

1937

Martine and Wilson

T.D. Construction Corp.

truck depot, storage and office

Converted to commercial space in the late 1980's, large plate glass has replaced the original truck bays.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03038.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03003.JPG

632

3

689-693 Washington St.

7 - 2/23/79

Late 20th C.

1970's

1979

693 Townhee Inc.

multiple dwelling: 3-family dwelling

These three houses were built to approximate in look a simplified village court of townhouses.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03002.JPG

632

10

140-144 Perry St.

277 - 7/1/1908

Early 20th C.

1900's

1909

Arthur M. Duncan

The Fleischman Co.

stable

1931 (Alt. #455): fire escape installed, original windows removed, fireproof doors and windows installed. 1996 -- building converted to residential use. New windows and ground floor bays altered.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03040.JPG

632

13

132-136 Perry St.

Alt. #2353 - 10/10/1923

Early 20th C./Early 21st C.

1920's/2000's

1923/2002

Robert D. Cohn and Frank E. Vitolo

Seeman Brothers Co.

garage/residentail

1923 (Alt. #2353) roof raised one story and pitched, new façade./2002 high-rise tower added and third story of façade altered

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03043.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03042.JPG

632

29

129 Charles St.

388 - 4/28/1897

Late 19th C.

1890's

1897

Henry Andersen

Herman Thalman

stable with 1-family dwelling above

1950 (Alt. #122): already converted into a garage and metal shop. 1972 (Alt. #796): altered to offices and dwelling with new facade. Cornice missing; no record.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03034.JPG

David Christie House

632

30

131 Charles St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1834

David Christie

dwelling

Designated an individual New York City landmark in 1966, this is considered to be one of the finest surviving federal houses in New York City. 1889: rear stable added.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03035.JPG

Former 9th Precinct Police Headquarters, now Le Gendarme Apartments

632

31

135 Charles St.

1996 - 11/21/1895

Late 19th C.

1890's

1897

John DuFais

The City of New York

police station

Built in 1897 just before the consolidation of Greater New York, this surprisingly grand civic monument (built to house a local police precinct station), displayed the City Beautiful aspirations of a metropolis emerging as a world capitol. Part of a wave of residential conversions in the area following the groundbreaking Westbeth conversion, the building was meticulously restored in 1977. 1977 (Alt. #138): converted into apartments.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00866.JPG

632

34

139-141 Charles St.

66 - 4/12/1955

Late 20th C.

1950's

1955

Sidney Daub

30th and 9th Corp.

garage for more than 5 motor vehicles, auto repair shop and trucking terminal.

Former Towers Warehouse

632

part of 17

726-736 Greenwich St. (also 122-130 Perry St.)

538 - 6/15/1897

Late 19th C.

1890's

1898

Gilbert A. Schellenger

Thomas McLaughlin

warehouse

One of the great industrial monuments of the Far West Vilage. The bold Romanesque arches at the base are echoed in the crenelated cornice. Erected as an annex to 720 Greenwich St.. Known as the Towers Warehouse. 1974 (Alt. #1414): converted to multiple dwelling known as the Towers Apartments.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00868.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00869.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00870.JPG

Former Towers Warehouse

632

part of 17

720 Greenwich St. (also 127 Charles St.)

1218 - 6/18/1901

Early 20th C.

1900's

1902

James B. Baker

Henry J. Sloan

warehouse

Erected as an annex to 726-One of the great industrial monuments of the Far West Vilage. The bold Romanesque arches at the base are echoed in the crenelated cornice. 736 Greenwich St.. Known as the Towers Warehouse. 1974 (Alt. #1414): converted to multiple dwelling known as the Towers Apartments.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00868.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00869.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00870.JPG

632

part of 6

695-697 Washington St.

329 - 5/9/910

Early 20th C.

1910's

1910

Arthur M. Duncan

The Fleischman Co.

factory

1921 (Alt. #2316): 2 stories added to the original 2 story building raising it to the current four stories. 1978 (Alt. #815): converted to residential use as a multiple dwelling.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03041.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03001.JPG

636A

1

187 Christopher St. (also 10 Weehawken St., 388-390 West St.)

244 - 12/1/1937

Early 20th C.

1930's

1938

William Shary

Silver Dollar Properties Inc.

stores

A Depression-era 'taxpayer,' it replaced two houses identical to 392 West Street/6 Weehwken Street.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03015.JPG

636A

4

391 West St. (also 8 Weehawken St.)

247 - 4/29/1902

Early 20th C.

1900's

1902

Richard Rohl

Morris Solomon

multiple dwelling with store

Façade almost entirely intact. Pre-1987 penthouse added to rear. No Record. 1987 (Alt. #428): ground floor modified.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01001.JPG

"Old Oyster House"/Munson House

636A

5

392 West St. (also 6 Weehawken St.)

Early 19th C.

1840's

1849

George M. Munson

Dwelling and Clam and oyster bar.

One of the few remaining wood clapboard houses in Manhattan, and probably the last wooden house built in Lower Manhattan (fire laws enacted in 1849 prevented their erection south of 32nd Street). Oyster bars were a prominent social gathering place in 19th century Manhattan, particualry in waterfront neighborhoods. Given that the oyster trade was dominated by African-Americans and that there were significant settlments of African-Americans in this area in the 19th century, it is likely that the bar may have been black-owned or operated. In spite of minor alterations, evidence indicates that the unusual shape of this house is more or less the same as when it ws built in the mid-19th century as part of a row of four identicial houses which once sat on Weehawken Street.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00858.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00859.JPG

636A

7

394-395 West St. (also 2-4 Weehawken St., 306 W. 10th St.)

Early 19th C.

1850's

1850 as two buildings

William Forsyth

dwelling (394), and lime dealers (395) and porterhouse

1880 (Alt. #345): buildings combined. "First-story exterior wall were removed and replaced with iron lintels and square-form columns for new storefronts."

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01004.JPG

636A

11

3-5 Weehawken St.

585 - 2/8/1876

Late 19th C.

1870's

1877

Mortimer C. Merritt

E. Beadleston

multiple dwellings -- 8 families each with stores below

Buildings combined and the cornice removed. (Alt. #715): ground floor modified into apartments.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03012.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03011.JPG

636A

13

304 W. 10th St. (also 1 Weehawken St.)

200 - 3/27/1873

Late 19th C.

1870's

1873

William E. Waring

Charles Schults

multiple dwelling

1966 (Alt. #1715): ground floor modified. Other than the ground floor alteration, this is a particularly intact and delightful 1870's tenement façade, with unusual semi-circular decorative cornice elements

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00861.JPG

636A

14

300 W. 10th St.

353 - 5/12/1875

Late 19th C.

1870's

1875

William E. Waring

M. Mackey

multiple dwelling

1941 (Alt. #111): major interior renovations, storefront infilled to create residential space, lintels modified, iron cornice replaced with a brick parapet. Façade probably originally looked similar to 304 W. 10th Street next door by same architect.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03236.JPG

636A

34

175 Christopher St.

c. 19th C.

Lansing C. Holden

The Carbondale NY Co.

wagon shop

1920 (Alt. #516): buildings combined and converted into offices and a workshop. Façade remodeled. Windows and doors installed more recently.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03021.JPG

636A

34

173 Christopher St.

c. 19th C.

Lansing C. Holden

The Carbondale NY Co.

wagon shop

1920 (Alt. #516): buildings combined and converted into offices and a workshop. Façade remodeled. Windows and doors installed more recently.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03021.JPG

636A

37

179 Christopher St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1832

Patrick Clark

dwelling

1884: third story added. 1979 (Alt. # 297): converted from workshop back to residential use.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03019.JPG

636A

38

181 Christopher St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1837

Stephen Allen

dwelling

1918 (Alt. #254): converted to a machine shop. 1919 (Alt. #796): penthouse added. 1964 (Alt. #80): converted to artist's studio with apartment. 1984 (Alt. # 227): penthouse enlarged into fourth story and ground floor converted to commercial space.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03018.JPG

636A

39

183 Christopher St.

Alt. #639 - 2/25/1937

Early 20th C.

1930's

1937

J.J. Gloster

John Engelbrecht

garage: auto repair shop

1937 (Alt. #639): top two floors removed. Façade rebuilt, 1-story extension added to rear.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03016.JPG

636A

40

185 Christopher St. (also 13-15 Weehawken St.)

Early 19th C.

1830's

1837

Stephen Allen

storage: storehouse

1956 (Alt. #1752): removal of cornice and street-level bricks. 1980 (Alt. #681): converted to living quarters above and a restaurant below.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03016.JPG

636A

part of 8

177 Christopher St.

NB #1047 - 9/10/1833

Late 19th C.

1880's

1884

W.J. Tryer Jr.

H.C. and J.H. Calkin

manufactory and workshop

With 7 and 9-11 Weehawken St., once part of a marine repair service complex.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03020.JPG

Former Stable with Dwelling Above

636A

part of 8

7 Weehawken St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1836

Jacob B. Roome

stable with dwelling above

1921 (Alt.#1145): stable converted to garage. One of the oldest extant streetfront stables in Greenwich Village.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01003.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03237.JPG

Former Stable with Dwelling Above

636A

part of 8

9-11 Weehawken St.

152 - 11/11/1908

Early 20th C.

1900's

1909

George M. McCabe

Thomas Lynch

stable: 2-story stable with dwelling above

1922 (Alt. #2732): stable converted to garage and workshop. In spite of the metal security gates over the entrance, this handsome stable remins almost entirely intact on its exterior.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01003.JPG

"The Shortest Street in Manhattan"

636A

Weehawken Street Pattern

Early 19th C.

1830's

1834

street

Street was laid out in 1834 on the site of the former Newgate Prison to house Weehawken Market, a point of sale and distribution for goods ferried in from New Jersey to the ferry landing at the foot of Christopher Street; the market lasted for about 10 years, and then plots along the street were sold for development.

Former Holland Hotel

636B

41

396-397 West St. (also 305 W. 10th St.)

162 - 3/12/1903

Early 20th C.

1900's

1904

Charles Stegmayer

Albert Adler

hotel

Ground floor façade has been altered, but nearly all details above ground floor and original corner cat-iron column remain intact. One of the most impressive, and diminutive, of the Greenwich Village waterfront seamen's hotels.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00860.JPG

Federal Rowhouse

636B

43

398 West St.

early 19th C.

1830's

1832

Isaac Amerman

dwelling with shop below

1916 (Alt. #2884): ground floor façade removed, iron girders and new storefront installed. 1967 (Alt. #1327): ground floor converted to restaurant. Though the ground floor has been altered, this is a largely intact early 19th century federal style house.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00998.JPG

636B

44

399 West Street

late 20th C.

1990's

ca. 1999

residence

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03008.JPG

636B

45

400 West St.

Alt. #1379 - 8/14/1945

Early 20th C.

1940's

1946

Richard Shutkind

Newman Realty Corp.

machine repair shop

Alt. # 1379 - 8/14/1945 Under this alteration, a 3 story brick building was reduced to a 1-story building with mezzanine and given the present brick façade

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03009.JPG

636B

46

401-402 West St.

Alt. #1962 - 9/29/1947

Early 20th C.

1940's

1947-50

John B. Snook and Sons

Contintental Marine Repairs

machine shop

1947 (Alt. #1962): lots 46 and 47 combined, new front added.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03006.JPG

636B

49

403-404 West St. (also 170 Charles St.)

Late 19th C.

1850's

1852 as two buildings

Ebenezer H. Pray

2 dwellings with stores below

1890 (Alt. #2082): previously combined for use as a storage warehouse and being converted into a livery stable. 1923 (Alt. #34): converted into a garage. 1939 (Alt. #423): ground floor converted into a tire repair shop and upper floors as tire storage. 1990's -- upper floors converted to residences and facades altered, windows elongated and combined

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03005.JPG

636B

70

150-168 Charles St. (also 287-303 W. 10th St.)

194 - 12/31/1937

Early 20th C.

1930's

1938

David Levy

Beadleston and Woerz Inc.

storage and office

1956 (Alt. #80): fourth story added.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03010.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03004.JPG

637A

13

166-172 Perry St. (through to Charles Lane)

341 - 4/1/1905

Early 20th C.

1900's

1906

Hill and Stout

Edmund Coffin

livery stable

1923 (Alt. # 2866): converted to factory with private garage below. 1935 (Al.t #832): converted to warehouse with loading platforms. 1956 (Alt. #857): converted to garage with repair shop. Currently: parking garage.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC03000.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02995.JPG

637A

17

164 Perry St. (through to Charles Lane)

Alt. #1100 - 5/20/1946

Early 20th C.

1940's

1946

Irving Seelig and Finkelstein

James P. Guarnieri

truck terminal with dwelling above for 1 family

1946 (Alt. #1100): converted from a four-story building, new façade added.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03225.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02996.JPG

637A

18

162 Perry St. (also 7 Charles Lane)

Alt. #1721 - 10/10/1945

Early 20th C.

1940's

1946

Sidney Daub

Benvro Realty Corp.

storage

1945 (Alt. #1721): top story removed, new façade, rear building connected at ground level.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01007.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03223.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03224.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02996.JPG

637A

20

158 Perry St. (also Charles Lane)

Alt. #860 - 8/29/1978

late 20th C.

1970's

1978

Robert E. Lawless

Robert E. Lawless

garage

May incorporate remnants of an earlier structure on the site, but no records found

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01007.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03219.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02996.JPG

637A

21

156 Perry St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1831

Henry Wyckoff

dwelling

1919 (alt. #1428): second entrance created from window. 1967 (Alt. #1393): converted to 2-family dwelling with ground-floor office.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01007.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02999.JPG

637A

42

163 Charles St.(through to Charles Lane)

Early 19th C.

1830's

1832

William Sickles and John J. Traphagen

dwelling

1876 (Alt. #491): 1/2 story added with flat tin roof and iron cornice. 1929 (Alt. #2035): rear stable connected with 1-story addition. First floor converted to commercial use.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01005.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03229.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03230.JPG

637A

part of 19

160 Perry St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1831

James Delanoy

dwelling

Original cornice and stoop removed.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01007.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02996.JPG

637A

part of 19

13 Charles Lane (at rear of 160 Perry St.)

Early 19th C.

1850's

1859

stable

1967 (Alt. #1636): altered to artist's studio

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01006.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03219.JPG

637A

part of 36

8A-8F Charles Street

19th C./late 20th C.

1880's/1970's

1880/1977

Freight Depot for Beadleston & Wortz brewers/multiple dwelling

1977 (Alt. # 1178): converted into complex of Duplex apartments.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03222.JPG

637A

part of 36

151-157 Charles Street

19th C./late 20th C.

1880's/1970's

1880/1977

Freight Depot for Beadleston & Wortz brewers/multiple dwelling

1977 (Alt. #1178): converted into complex of Duplex apartments.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03232.JPG

637A

part of 40

159 Charles St.

Early19th C.

1830's

1839

Henry Wyckoff

dwelling

1946 (Alt. #1517): converted into duplex apartments. Decorative metal lintels possibly added at that time.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01005.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03232.JPG

637A

part of 40

10 Charles Lane

Early 19th C. (probably)

1830's (probably)

1839 (probably)

stable (probably)

Currently garage for 159 Charles Street. Remnants of orginal structure may be part of existing garage, but no records to supporting this were found.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03226.JPG

637A

part of 41

161 Charles St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1832

Abraham D. Romaine

dwelling

1870 (Alt. #387): 1/2 story added with flat tin rood and iron cornice. 1913 (Alt. #1344): ground floor converted to garage. Late 1990's, rooftop addition added.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC01005.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03231.JPG

637A

part of 41

12 Charles Lane (at rear of 161 Charles St.)

Late 19th C.

1860's

1869 or earlier

stable

1869: City atlases show brick stable, which replaced prior wood structure. Current moorish façade dates to the 1970's

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03227.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03228.JPG

Charles Lane, formerly known as "Pig Alley," formerly known as Charles Street.

637A

Streetpattern/Roadbed of Charles Lane

Late 18th C./late 19th C.

1790's/1890's

1797/1893

alley

According to a New York City Corporation Counsel memo of 1892, what is now called Charles Lane was mentioned in the original Hammond Deed as a roadway on the north side of the Newgate State Prison, built in 1797. At first called Charles Street and then Pig Alley, it came to be known as Charles Lane, and was offcially mapped as a New York City street in 1893. The current stone pavers are believed to date from this time, making them possibly the oldest existing street pavers in New York City.

637B

54

372 W. 11th St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1839

Samuel Archer

dwelling with store below

Originally identical to 370 W. 11th St. Storefront infilled (no record of date) though original brownstone piers and lintels survive. 1937: fire escape added. Otherwise largely intact Greek Revival house.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00990.JPG

637B

55

370 W. 11th St.

Early 19th C.

1830's

1839

Samuel Archer

dwelling with store below

Originally identical to 372 W. 11th St. 1874 (Alt. #663): 1/2 floor added with flat tin roof and metal cornice; storefront modified. Fire escape added 1937.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00990.JPG

637B

60

356-360 W. 11th St.

344 - 9/16/1914

Early 20th C.

1910's

1915

James S. Maher

Simon Donovan Trucking Co.

stable

1919 (Alt. #31): converted to garage with storage space. 1961 (Alt. #486): altered to lab and office space. Now an artist's studio.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00873.JPG

637B

63

354 W. 11th St.

Early 19th C.

1840's

1844

Edwin L.B. Brooks

dwelling

1871 (Alt. #437): extended 11 ft. in the rear. Almost entirely intact Greek Revival Townhouse.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00872.JPG

637B

77

161-165 Perry St.

496 - 7/13/1910

Early 20th C.

1910's

1911

Louis C. Maurer

McSweeny Realty Co.

warehouse

1926 (Alt. #1839): converted to factory. 1932 (B.N. 2736): altered to individual manufacturing lofts. 1981 (Alt. #408): converted to multilpe dwelling and top story added.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02998.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02997.JPG

637B

301

155-159 Perry St.

277 - 5/6/1912

Early 20th C.

1910's

1913

Harry Dean

St. John's Park

warehouse

1945 (Alt. #116): converted from warehouse to factory. 1984 (Alt. #168): converted to multiple dwelling.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00871.JPG

638

1

365-373 W. 11th St. (also 427-431 West St.)

330 - 7/19/1927

Early 20th C.

1920's

1928

William M. Farrar

James J. Riordan

garage and filling station

Shortly after being built this property was listed as the Federal Government's Department of Juvenille Justice's Detention Quarters. In 1978 it was converted to residences and the fourth story added.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02993.JPG

638

4

162-168 Bank St. (also 439-441 West St.)

1324 - 6/30/1887

Late 19th C.

1880's

1888

John B. Snook and Sons

Enoch Morgan's Sons Co.

factory and workshop

Originally a sopa factory for Sapolio, the scouring soap of Enoch Morgan's Sons. 1899: 7 stories added. 1978 (Alt. #512): converted to multiple dwelling with 35 apartments.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02994.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02992.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02991.JPG

638

part of 4

433-435 West St.

Alt. #1152 - 9/16/1898

Late 19th C.

1890's

1899

John B. Snook and Sons

Enoch Morgan's Sons Co.

factory

Former Enoch Morgan's Sons soap company building. 1898 (Alt. #1152): four floors added and building adjoined to northern lot. 1978: converted into a multiple dwelling.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02994.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02992.JPG

Westbeth, former Bell Telephone Laboratories

639

part of 1

151 Bank St.

554 - 11/5/1928

Early 20th C.

1920's

1928

Bell Telephone Laboratories Inc.

Bell Telephone Laboratories

sound recording of motion pictures

This complex served as the main research laboratories of Bell Telephone for over 75 years, and was a world center for sound communication innovations. Chain broadcasting, the vacuum tube, and the transatlantic telephone were first invented here, and parts of the first "talkie," the Jazz Singer, were produced here. The bulk of the complex was built in 1896 to the designs of Cyrus Eidlitz, though parts date to 1861 and were originally built as a wood-planing mill. The remainder of the complex was built between 1899 and 1925, and includes a large tunnel cut through the building above the third floor to accommodate the High Line elevated railway. In 1965, the building was converted into a subsidized housing, studio, and theater complex for artists per the designs of Richard Meier. This was the nation’s first subsidized housing complex for artists and one of the first large–scale adaptive re-uses of an industrial building. 455-465 West Street was listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1975.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00987.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00988.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00989.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03217.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03218.JPG

Westbeth, former Bell Telephone Laboratories

639

part of 1

51-55 Bethune St. (also 746-754 Washington St.)

645 - 12/19/1923

Early 20th C.

1920's

1923

McKenzie, Voorhees and Gemlin

Bell Telephone Laboratories

factory and auditorium

(See description under 151 Bank Street) 1931 (Alt. #1908): modified to accommodate NY Central elevated freight tracks.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00987.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00988.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00989.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03217.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03218.JPG

Westbeth, former Bell Telephone Laboratories

639

part of 1

141-149 Bank St. (734-744 Washington St.)

1133 - 1899

Early 20th C.

1900's

1900

Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz

Western Electric Co.

factory

(See description under 151 Bank Street) 1931 (Alt. #1908): modified to accommodate NY Central elevated freight tracks.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00987.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00988.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00989.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03217.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03218.JPG

Westbeth, former Bell Telephone Laboratories

639

part of 1

455-465 West St. (also 59-77 Bethune St.)

1063 - 6/29/1896

Late 19th C.

1890's

1898

Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz

Western Electric Co.

office building, manufactory and workshop

(See description under 151 Bank Street) 1923: taken over by Bell Telephone Laboratories. 1965: converted into a housing facility for artists. 455-465 West Street was listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1975.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00987.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00988.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00989.JPG;S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03217.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03218.JPG

Westbeth, former Bell Telephone Laboratories

639

part of 1

445-453 West St. (also 169 Bank St.)

Late 19th C.

1860's

1861

William Van Hook

Office and Mill

(See description under 151 Bank Street above) 1895-6 (Alts. #987 and 437): converted into lofts and stores.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00987.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00988.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00989.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03218.JPG;

Westbeth, former Bell Telephone Laboratories

639

part of 1

155-163 Bank St.

Alt #175

Late 20th C.

1960's

1968

Richard Meier

plaza

(See description under 151 Bank Street above) 1968 (Alt. #175): converted to middle income facility for artists. This, the site of the Westbeth courtyard, was formerly the site of factories.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00987.JPG, S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00988.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00989.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03217.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 09_04\DSC03217.JPG;

former Nabisco Factory/currently Superior Ink Factory

640

1

70 Bethune St. (also 469-485 West St., 396 W. 12th St.)

240 - 8/18/1919

Early 20th C.

1910's

1919

A.G. Zimmermann

Nabisco

factory: cracker factory and bakery

Built in 1919-21 as a cracker bakery for Nabisco, this was part of a broader complex of Nabisco buildings in the area, the bulk of which is located a few blocks to the north on 16th Street, in what is now known as Chelsea Market. An early example of establishing a uniform corporate identity through architecture, the factory was built in the same style as the main complex to the north as well as other major Nabisco complexes in Pittsburgh and Chicago. The architect, A G. Zimmermann, and the Nabisco President, Adolphus Green, appear to have been aware of and influenced by emerging contemporary German ideas about utilitarian and industrial design, and Zimmermann’s broad bays and functional design betray his own Chicago roots. The smokestack has long been a local landmark. Plans have been announced by a developer to erect apartments on the site, but such a plan would have to go to through a lengthy public review process because the site is currently zoned only for manufacturing uses.1924 (Alt. #2473): "set-back penthouse was erected on a portion of the roof for use as an employee restaurant." 1953 (Alt. #2112): 1-story brick garage added on east side.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village Undesignated 3-04\DSC00986.JPG

640

12

380-390 W. 12th St.

96 - 2/3/1898

Late 19th C.

1890's

1899

J. Lawrence Aspinwall

Frederick Baker, Joseph Williams, Francis Perauer

office building and storehouse

Originally two interconnected warehouses, in 1979 (Alt. #159): ground floor entraces altered, new windows installed, façade stuccoed, metal balconies on east side added, two setback-stories added. 1985 (Alt. #559): eighth floor enlarged and penthouse added.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02989.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02988.JPG

641

1

489 West St. (also 399 W. 12th St.)

Late 19th C.

1880's

1880 (ca.)

Ralph deW. Stephens

Aquilina Zubillaga

1880's: 4-story structure. 1890's: extension added. 1953 (Alt. #1217): top 2 stories removed, new roof. Empty for years.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02986.JPG

641

26

383-385 W. 12th St.

Alt. #876 - 5/12/1948

Early 20th C.

1940's

1949

Arnold W. Lederer

Lo-Yet Realty Corp.

wood-box shop and loading

1948 (Alt. #876): 3-story structure converted into 1-story and mezzanine. 1986 (Alt. #737): converted into a film studio, and later, an extension of ther Diane von Furstenberg Studios..

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02990.JPG

Former Stable andBlacksmith's Shop/Now Diane von Furstenberg Studios

641

28

387-391 W. 12th St.

Late 19th C.

1850's

1856

George D. Cragin

factory

Originally a factory, sometime before 1892 it came to be used a s a stable, and in that year (Alt. #745):a blacksmith's shop was installed. 1921 (Alt. #2012): doorways enlarged. Prior to 1975 it served as a stable for horses fo the local NYPD police precinct, but that year (Alt. #593): it ws converted into fine arts studio and private gallery. In 1985 (Alt. #895) it was converted to a design studio, and has served as the studio, shop, and events space for Diane von Furstenberg.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\Far W. Village undesignated 2-04\DSC00876.JPG

641

31

393-397 W. 12th St.

194 - 3/10/1897

Late 19th C.

1890's

1897

Stephenson and Greene

Mary E. Gregory

lead foundry

1907 (Alt. #1473): converted to stable. 1946 (Alt. #1653): converted to freight terminal, garage and manufacturing

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02987.JPG

641

10 and 13

124-132 Jane St.

Late 19th C.

1890's

1899

August H. Blankenstein

John D. Haas

factory

1898 (Alt. #1898): 2 prior buildings gutted by a fire in 1891 were combined, repaired, and given a new uniform façade. 1978 (Alt. #630): ground floor altered to accommodate conversion to a multiple dwelling.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02981.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02980.JPG

Orig. Seamen's Institute of the American Seamen's Friend Society/later Jane West or Jane Street Hotel

642

1

113-115 Jane St (also 503-507 West St.)

582 - 7/31/1907

Early 20th C.

1900's

1909

Boring and Tilton

American Seamen's Friend Society

hotel and home

Designated a New York City landmark in 1999. One of 4 waterfront hotels in the Far West Village along West Street. It is believed that the survivors of the Titanic were brought to here upon their arrival in New York. Originally had a beacon on the octagonal tower.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02983.JPG

642

12

110-112 Horatio St.

906 - 9/1/1882

Late 19th C.

1880's

1883

Kimball and Wisedell

F.W. Devoe

factory, paint factory

This is the last building to be erected on the block by F.W. Devoe & Co. as a part of its paint and color works which encompassed most of the block from the 1870's to 1918. 1920 (Alt. #3283): converted to storage warehouse. 1984 (Alt. #854): converted to an annex of 114-118 Horatio St. Windows are new, but facade is otherwise largely intact.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02985.JPG; S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02984.JPG

642

34

111 Jane St.

581 - 7/24/1873

Late 19th C.

1870's

1875

Samuel A. Warner

F.W. Devoe

factory and workshops

This is the oldest of 2 former factory buildings surviving from the paint and color works of F.W. Devoe a& Co, which encompassed much of the block until the 1920's. 1920 (Alt. #3283): converted to storage warehouse. 1985 (Alt. #1004): converted to multiple dwelling, with some facade alterations and addition of a penthouse.

S:\FILES\ISSUES\Waterfront\FWV pics 8-16-04\DSC02982.JPG