NoHo News Join our email list Jefferson Library GVSHP Mission East Village

Home : Preservation : East Village : East 10th Street


Site Map/Search

Reset Text Size Smaller Font Larger Font




East 10th Street Historic District
East 10th Street Historic District



Designated January 17, 2012



Below are a dozen of the twenty-six buildings in the newly-designated East 10th Street Historic District; historic data comes from GVSHP’s research on every building in the East Village.



293 E 10

293 East 10th Street

Built in 1846 for James French, a boot maker.

Sold in 1850 to Joshua Varian who leased it to Hiram Chandler who lived there with his family and seven other families. Chandler worked for Police Department (note NYPD founded in 1845) as a detective and was injured in the 1863 Draft Riots. He died in 1881. By late 1890s owned by Charles J. Smith whose name is still on the cornice (top left)

295 E 10

295 East 10th Street

Also built in 1845 for James French.

Also sold to Varian in 1850 who lived in the house with his family and two young women from Ireland. Varian had a stand at the former Catherine Market in lower Manhattan. From 1875 to 1920 owned by Bernard Toch a German immigrant who owned a paint store at 35 Bowery. In the 1920s was owned by Dr. Julius Martinson who had his office and residence there also had a store on the basement and cellar level for “European Phonograph.” Martinson altered the building by creating a storefront, removing the stoop and moving the entrance to the basement. He also converted from a tenement to a two family residence.

303 E 10

303 East 10th Street

Built in 1845 for Mr. W. Wanderwater. In the early 1850s he leased the property to two families and then sold it to Mr. W. Flanely in 1854.

313-317 E 10

313, 315 and 317 East 10th Street

313 and 315 East 10th Street
Built in 1847 for Mr. S. Perkins.
313 and 315 East 10th Street housed St. Brigid’s Academy from 1856-1910 which was run by the Sisters of Charity of St. Paul. School for some 200 girls some of whom were boarders. Some 30 nuns lived in the combined buildings some of whom stayed until 1920.

313 East 10th Street
Was sold to Samuel (Leopold) Horowitz for $36,000. Horowitz was president of Horowitz Brothers, matzoh makers in the LES. Horowitz resold the property to the Jolele Shmore Hachomos, a Hungarian Jewish benevolent society. In 1947 the building was sold to the Slovak Social Welfare Club which has a memorial plaque dedicated to one of its members, Milan R. Stefanik, in Tompkins Square Park.

315 East 10th Street
Built in 1847.
After the school left a Russian Society sold the building in 1931 to the First Branch of the Russian Consolidated Mutual Aid Society of America, a benevolent society that also ran a school for the children of Russian immigrants. In the 1960s the Ukrainian Youth Association was housed in the building.

317 East 10th Street
Built in 1847.
Margaret Sanger rented space in this building for a birth control clinic, what would have been the nation’s first, in 1921. She later found that she could not legally operate a clinic in the space and opened the clinic at 104 5th Avenue in 1923.

321 E 10 323 E 10

321 and 323 East 10th Street (St. Marie and Bonsall)

Built 1888 by Emma J. Mason, designed by architect Benjamin E. Love as French flats with 2 families per floor. Dumbell or old law tenements.

327 E 10

327 East 10th Street

Built in 1852.

Owner Bernard Klugenstein added a rear extension with two bathrooms each floor in 1899 when the building housed 10 families.

331 E 10

331 East 10th Street – New York Public Library Tompkins Square Park Branch

Built in 1904, McKim, Mead & White architects.

Designated an individual landmark in 1999. One of the earliest Carnegie libraries in New York City. It was built when Andrew Carnegie donated $5.2 million in 1901 to create a branch library system. The Trustees of the New York Public Library wanted the branches to be built in conspicuous and well-traveled streets to increase their use. This site on East 10th street was chosen for those reasons as well as for its proximity to public and community institutions. When opened in 1904 the library had 16,000 books.

337 E 10

337 East 10th Street

Built in 1859-1860.

In 1885 there were two stores and 8 families in the building.
In 1892 a new storeftont and building entrance was built. 
In 1908 new pulley sash windows were installed. 
In 1968 the buildig’s structure was reinforced with anchors to prevent further cracking of its exterior walls.

343 E 10

343 East 10th Street

Built in 1859-1860.

When occupied as a tenement in 1907, owner Max Tannenbaum updated the building by removing the sink and outhouse from the rear yard and replacing them with indoor water closets.






Home : Preservation : East Village : East 10th Street

The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation : 232 East 11 Street, New York, NY 10003 : 212 475 9585 : gvshp@gvshp.org

© GVSHP

Credits, Copyright, Terms of Service, and Privacy Statements