Historic progress for GVSHP landmarking efforts
In addition to successes in the South Village and East Village, today was a historic day for efforts to preserve Federal-style (1790-1835) rowhouses in Lower Manhattan, a project GVSHP has been leading since 1996. The federal style is the first architectural style of the newly independent American republic, and some 300 houses from this era survive in Lower Manhattan, many without landmark protections. In 2003, GVSHP and the NY Landmarks Conservancy proposed landmark designation of 13 federal houses in Lower Manhattan, referencing the 13 original colonies from which the style grew. Seven of those houses have already been designated (127, 129, and 131 MacDougal Street, 4 St. Mark’s Place, 67 Greenwich Street, and 486 and 488 Greenwich Street). Today the eighth house, 94 Greenwich Street (1798) was landmarked; the ninth house, 57 Sullivan Street (1817) was given a hearing by the LPC; and the tenth house, 7 Leroy Street, was included within the South Village/Greenwich Village Historic District which was calendared today. 57 Sullivan Street is also within GVSHP’s proposed South Village Historic District, and is the oldest documented structure within the South Village.