Protecting an East Village Landmark, the former Stuyvesant Polyclinic
GVSHP has been closely monitoring plans for the old Stuyvesant Polyclinic building at 137 Second Avenue, an individual New York City landmark built in 1883-4 by William Schickel as the Deutches (German) Dispensary. Along with it’s companion the neighboring landmarked Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library at 135 Second Avenue, it was commissioned by Anna and Oswald Ottendorfer, philanthropists concerned with the welfare of New York’s German immigrant community, when this area was known as “Kleindeutschland” or Little Germany. The clinic was closed in 2005 and plans for the building by the new owner have been unclear. GVSHP has requested a meeting with the owner to discuss new plans for the building.