Block 630

 

Please note:  Building pictures may take some time to appear

Lot: part of 24

Address:  684 Greenwich St. (also 141-145 Christopher St.)

Completed: 1874 (as two buildings)

Original Owner:  Thomas Broadway

Original Uses:  western end: 2-story factory, eastern end: dwelling with store

Between 1871 and 1874: extensive alterations of an 1845 shed into two 2-story buildings. 1897: already assessed as one building. 1985 (Alt #3171): alteration of ground-floor façade. Currently: restaurant with multiple dwelling above.

 

Lot: part of 24

Address:  147 Christopher St.

N.B. # 1075 - 7/29/1871

Completed: 1871

Architect:  Not named

Original Owner:  Thomas C. Broadway

Original Use:  multiple dwelling for 3 families with store below

Ground floor modified, lintels shaved, but façade appears to be otherwise intact..

 

 

Lot:  part of 12

Address:  694 Greenwich St.

N.B. # 281 - 11/26/1945

Completed:  1946

Architect:  William J. Minogue

Original Owner:  St. Veronica's R. C. Church

Original Use:  2-car private garage

 

Lot:  part of 12

Address:  270-274 W. 10th St.

N.B. # 1602 - 12/12/1884

Completed:  1886

Architect:  D. J. Stagg

Original Owner:  City of New York

Original Use:  public school

Originally P.S. 107, then St. Veronica's R. C. Church's parochial school, now the Village Community School.

 

Lot:  29

Address:  157 Christopher St.

N.B. # 180 - 4/5/1904

Completed:  1904

Architect:  F. Steigleiter

Original Owner:  G and C. J. Kuper

Original Use:  Offices

Converted to residential above with commercial below; with minor modifications to ground floor, façade is substantially intact..

 

 

Lot:  26

Address:  149-155 Christopher St.

N.B. # 1303 - 7/19/1889

Completed: 1890

Architect:  John J. Deery

Original Owner:  John E. Fitzharris

St. Veronica's R. C. Church

A highly unusual Czech-styled church, its spires still strike an extremely prominent profile on Christopher Street.

 

Lot: 24

Address:  686-690 Greenwich St.

Completed: 1868

Original Owner:  William H. Milleman

Original Use:  multiple dwelling with stores below

1868: erected as 3 adjoining buildings, each approx. 25 ft. wide. 1917 (Alt. #2396): already a single warehouse with store below. 1977 (Alt. # 934): entire building converted to residential.

 

 

Lot:  20

Address:  692 Greenwich St.

N.B. # 300 - 4/21/1868

Completed:  1868

Architect:  John M. Forster

Original Owner:  D. & W. H. Milleman

Original Use:  pork packing house

1904 (Alt. #319): converted to lofts with store below. 1985 (Alt. #63): floors 2 to 5 converted to apartments. Windows altered to one large opening per floor.

 

 

 

661 (l.) and 659 (r.) Washington Street

 

Lot:  7

661 Washington St.

Alt. #1095 - 5/14/1885

Completed:  1885

Architect:  Joseph Dunn

Original Owner:  James Roon

Original Use:  multiple dwelling

1885 (Alt. # 1095): "4-story factory converted into a 5-story dwelling with an entirely new façade."

 

Lot:  6

Address:  659 Washington St.

N.B. # 990 - 6/25/1885

Completed:  1886

Architect:  A. B. Ogden and Son

Original Owner:  Margaret Shoughnessay

Original Use:  multiple dwelling for 10 families

Retains most original elements. Note basket-shaped fire escapes.

 

 

 

 

Lot:5

Address:  657 Washington St.

N.B. # 1077 - 8/10/1893

Completed:  1894

Architect:  L. J. O'Connor

Original Owner:  St. Veronica's R. C. Church

Original Use:  Rectory

Currently serves as a hospice of the Missionaries of Charity; façade and stoop intact.

 

 

 

 

 

Lot:  9

Address:  278-280 West 10th Street

Completed: 2002

Architect:  Leo J. Blackmun Associates

Original Owner:  Village Community School

Original Use:  School Addition

Built in 2002, this school addition matches the scale of the neighboring original, and sensitively relates to and updates the Victorian detailing and brickwork of the original.  For these reasons, it is considered to merit inclusion in a hoped-for historic district designation.

 

 

 

655 (l.), 653 (middle), and 651 (r.) Washington Street

 

Lot: 4

Address: 655 Washington St.

Completed:  1829

Original Owner:  Est. of Samuel Norsworthy

Original Use:  dwelling with tailor shop below

Ground floor modified, fire escapes added, removal of cornice. No records.

 

 

Lot:  3

Address:  653 Washington St.

Completed:  1829

Original Owner:  Est. of Samuel Norsworthy

Original Use:  dwelling with shop below

1940 (Alt. #2603): addition of rear extension and possibly dormers combined. Currently: ground-floor is an office, upper floors are residential.

 

Lot: 2

Address:  651 Washington St.

Completed:  1829

Original Owner:  Est. of Samuel Norsworthy

Original Use:  dwelling with shop below

Fire escape added. Original storefront replaced. No records.

 

 

 

 

 

Lot:  1

Address:  159-163 Christopher St. (also 649 Washington St.)

N.B. # 233 - 4/5/1879

Completed: 1880

Architect:  John B. Snook

Original Owner:  Leora Lockwood

Original Use:  multiple dwelling with stores below

Storefront modified, upper floors intact. One of New York’s earliest apartment buildings/model tenements; highly unusual balconies, original to building.

 

CLICK HERE for additional blocks