Block 636A

 

Please note:  Building pictures may take some time to appear  

Former Stable With a Dwelling Above

 

Lot:  part of 8

Address:  7 Weehawken St.

Completed:  1836

Original Owner:  Jacob B. Roome

Original Use:  stable with dwelling above

1921 (Alt.#1145): stable converted to garage.  One of the oldest extant streetfront stables in Manhattan.

 

 

 

Former Stable With Dwelling Above

 

Lot:  part of 8

Address:  9-11 Weehawken St.

N.B.:  152 - 11/11/1908

Completed:  1909

Architect:  George M. McCabe

Original Owner:  Thomas Lynch

Original Use:  2-story stable with dwelling above

1922 (Alt. #2732): stable converted to garage and workshop. In spite of the metal security gates over the entrance, this handsome stable remains almost entirely intact on its exterior.

 

 

 

185 (l.) and 183 (r.) Christopher Street

 

Lot:  40

Address:  185 Christopher St. (also 13-15 Weehawken St.)

Completed:  1837

Original Owner:  Stephen Allen

Original Use:  storehouse

1956 (Alt. #1752): removal of cornice and street-level bricks. 1980 (Alt. #681): converted to living quarters above and a restaurant below.

 

Lot: 39

Address:  183 Christopher St.

N.B.:  Alt. #639 - 2/25/1937

Completed:  1937

Architect:  J. J. Gloster

Original owner:  John Engelbrecht

Original Use:  auto repair shop

1937 (Alt. #639): top two floors removed. Façade rebuilt, 1-story extension added to rear.

 

 

 

 

Lot:  38

Address:  181 Christopher St.

Completed:  1837

Original Owner:  Stephen Allen

Original Use:  dwelling

1918 (Alt. #254): converted to a machine shop. 1919 (Alt. #796): penthouse added.  1964 (Alt. #80): converted to artist's studio with apartment.  1984 (Alt. # 227): penthouse enlarged into fourth story and ground floor converted to commercial space.

 

 

 

 

Lot:  37

Address:  179 Christopher St.

Completed:  1832

Original Owner:  Patrick Clark

Original Use:  dwelling

1884: third story added. 1979 (Alt. # 297): converted from workshop back to residential use.

 

 

 

 

Lot:  part of 8

Address:  177 Christopher St.

N.B.:   1047 - 9/10/1833

Completed:  1884

Architect:  W. J. Tryer Jr.

Original Owner:  H. C. and J. H. Calkin

Original Use:  manufactory and workshop

With 7 and 9-11 Weehawken St., once part of a marine repair service complex.

 

 

 

 

Lot:  34

Address:  175 Christopher St.

Architect:  Lansing C. Holden

Original Owner:  The Carbondale NY Co.

Original Use:  wagon shop

1920 (Alt. #516): buildings combined and converted into offices and a workshop. Façade remodeled. Windows and doors installed more recently.

 

Lot:  34

Address:  173 Christopher St.

Architect:  Lansing C. Holden

Original Owner:  The Carbondale NY Co.

Original Use:  wagon shop

1920 (Alt. #516): buildings combined and converted into offices and a workshop. Façade remodeled. Windows and doors installed more recently.

 

 

 

 

Lot:  14

Address:  300 W. 10th St.

N.B.:  353 - 5/12/1875

Completed:  1875

Architect:  William E. Waring

Original Owner:  M. Mackey

Original Use:  multiple dwelling

1941 (Alt. #111): major interior renovations, storefront infilled to create residential space, lintels modified, iron cornice replaced with a brick parapet. Façade probably originally looked similar to 304 W. 10th Street next door by same architect.

 

 

 

 

Lot:  13

Address:  304 W. 10th St.   (also 1 Weehawken St.)

N.B.:  200 - 3/27/1873

Completed:  1873

Architect:  William E. Waring

Original Owner:  Charles Schults

Original Use:  multiple dwelling

1966 (Alt. #1715): ground floor modified. Other than the ground floor alteration, this is a particularly intact and delightful 1870's tenement façade, with unusual semi-circular decorative cornice elements

 

 

 

 

 

Lot:  11

Address:  3-5 Weehawken St.

N.B.:  585 - 2/8/1876

Completed:  1877

Architect:  Mortimer C. Merritt

Original Owner:  E. Beadleston

Original Use:  multiple dwellings -- 8 families each with stores below

Buildings combined and the cornice removed. (Alt. #715): ground floor modified into apartments.

 

 

 

 

Lot:  7

Address:  394-395 West St.  (also 2-4 Weehawken St., 306 W. 10th St.)

Completed:  1850 as two buildings

Original Owner:  William Forsyth

Original Use:  lime dealers (395) and porterhouse and dwelling (394)

1880 (Alt. #345): buildings combined. "First-story exterior wall were removed and replaced with iron lintels and square-form columns for new storefronts."

 

 

 

 

 

Building Name:  “Old Oyster House” or “Munson House”

Lot:  5

Address:  392 West St. (also 6 Weehawken St.)

Completed:  1849

Original Owner:  George M. Munson

Original Use:  Dwelling and Clam and oyster bar.

One of the few remaining wood clapboard houses in Manhattan, and probably the last wooden house built in Lower Manhattan (fire laws enacted in 1849 prevented their erection south of 32nd Street).  Oyster bars were a prominent social gathering place in 19th century Manhattan, particularly in waterfront neighborhoods.  Given that the oyster trade was dominated by African-Americans and that there were significant settlements of African-Americans in this area in the 19th century, it is likely that the bar may have been black-owned or operated. In spite of minor alterations, evidence indicates that the unusual shape of this house is more or less the same as when it was built in the mid-19th century as part of a row of four identical houses that once sat on Weehawken Street.

 

 

 

Lot:  4

Address:  391 West St. (also 8 Weehawken St.)

N.B.:  247 - 4/29/1902

Completed:  1902

Architect:  Richard Rohl

Original Owner:  Morris Solomon

Original Use:  multiple dwelling with store

Façade almost entirely intact.  Pre-1987 penthouse added to rear. No Record. 1987 (Alt. #428): ground floor modified.

 

 

 

 

Lot:  1

Address:  187 Christopher St. (also 10 Weehawken St., 388-390 West St.)

N.B.:  244 - 12/1/1937

Completed: 1938

Architect:  William Shary

Original Owner:  Silver Dollar Properties Inc.

Original Use:  stores

A Depression-era 'taxpayer,' it replaced two houses identical to 392 West Street/6 Weehawken Street.

 

 

 

 

"The Shortest Street in Manhattan"

 

Weehawken Street Pattern

1834

Street was laid out in 1834 on the site of the former Newgate Prison to house Weehawken Market, a point of sale and distribution for goods ferried in from New Jersey to the ferry landing at the foot of Christopher Street; the market lasted for about 10 years, and then plots along the street were sold for development.