Block 638

 

Please note:  Building pictures may take some time to appear  

 

439-441 West Street (l.), 433-435 West Street (m.), 365-373 W. 11th Street (r.)

 

 

 

162-168 Bank St. (also 439-441 West St.) Bank Street facade

 

Lot:  4

Address:  162-168 Bank St. (also 439-441 West St.)

N.B.:  1324 - 6/30/1887

Completed:  1888

Architect:  John B. Snook and Sons

Original Owner:  Enoch Morgan's Sons Co.

Original Use:  factory and workshop

Originally a soap factory for Sapolio, the scouring soap of Enoch Morgan's Sons.  1899: 7 stories added. 1978 (Alt. #512): converted to multiple dwelling with 35 apartments.

 

Lot:  part of 4

Address:  433-435 West St.

N.B.:  Alt. #1152 - 9/16/1898

Completed:  1899

Architect:  John B. Snook and Sons

Original Owner:  Enoch Morgan's Sons Co.

Original Use:  Factory

Former Enoch Morgan's Sons soap company building.  1898 (Alt. #1152): four floors added and building adjoined to northern lot. 1978: converted into a multiple dwelling.

 

 

 

 

 

Lot:  1

 

Address:  365-373 W. 11th St. (also 427-431 West St.)

 

N.B.:  330 - 7/19/1927

 

Completed:  1928

 

Architect:  William M. Farrar

 

Original Owner:  James J. Riordan

 

Original Use:  garage and filling station

 

Shortly after being built this property was listed as the Federal Government's Department of Juvenile Justice's Detention Quarters. In 1978 it was converted to residences and the fourth story added.