|
CLICK HERE FOR SAMPLE
LETTERS URGING THE PROPERTIES BE RESTORED


PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate
Release Contact: Andrew Berman
October 7, 2003 212-475-9585 x38
or 917-533-1767
On First Anniversary of Dangerous Illegal
Work
GVSHP and Neighbors Call Upon Annie Leibovitz
and City
to Finally Repair Landmarked Houses
And Prevent “Demolition By Neglect”
Greenwich Village – The
Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation (GVSHP) was joined today by
dozens of Village neighbors for a picket in front of celebrity photographer
Annie Leibovitz’ houses at 755-75 Greenwich Street and 311 West 11th
Street in the West Village. The protest marked the one-year anniversary this
week of the illegal work done by Ms. Leibovitz which resulted in serious damage
to the two landmarked 1830’s houses she owned (755-57 Greenwich Street) and a
neighboring house (311 West 11th Street, which, following settlement
of a lawsuit with the prior owners stemming from the illegal work, she now owns
as well).
Carrying signs saying “Not
A Pretty Picture” and “Happy Annieversary,” GVSHP and the picketers
sought to call attention to the fact that a full year after the initial damage
was done, Leibovitz has done no work to restore the properties and continues to
allow them to deteriorate.
“This is a sad anniversary
for the Village and for Annie Leibovitz,” said GVSHP Executive Director Andrew
Berman. “A full year after performing illegal work which nearly destroyed three
historic, landmarked houses, Leibovitz has done nothing to bring them back to
their original condition, and allows them to crumble and deteriorate further
every day. This is shameful and inexcusable behavior – it is not being a good
neighbor, nor it is showing much respect for the law or for New York City’s
history or heritage,” added Berman.
On October 11, 2002, after
receiving approval to do renovations to her properties at 755-57 Greenwich
Street, Leibovitz’ workers performed work contrary to their permit, resulting in
the undermining of a shared structural wall with neighboring 311 West 11th
Street, which lead to the collapse of a chimney which filled 311 West 11th
Street with poison gas. 311 West 11th Street was then declared
unsafe for occupancy, and the owners were forced to evacuate the building, never
to return (they sued Ms. Leibovitz, and as part of the settlement she has now
purchased the building). Only after protests by GVSHP did Leibovitz then, after
more than two months, install exterior bracing to shore up the compromised
houses and prevent collapse (CLICK
HERE FOR LETTER).
For many months, no
measures were taken to prevent very serious potential damage to the buildings --
during some of the heaviest snow and rainfall in recent memory, the houses were
left open to the elements with no windows covering the window openings; in
freezing temperatures, full pipes in 311 West 11th Street were not
flushed, running the risk of their freezing and bursting. While the City has
issued Leibovitz a violation for the original illegal work, so far, according to
the Department of Buildings’ website, it has only resulted in a $500 fine
(CLICK
HERE FOR TIMELINE).
“It is outrageous that Ms.
Leibovitz has been allowed to let landmarked structures deteriorate for so long
without any action being taken to protect them,” said Berman. “Bricks fall and
walls crumble on what now looks like a bombed out shell of a building, and the
City has only levied a $500 fine against the wealthy celebrity responsible?
What sort of a message does this send? We fear that Leibovitz is seeking to
destroy a treasured part of our City beyond repair – and the City is just
letting her,” opined Berman.
GVSHP has asked the City to
either force Leibovitz to make repairs to the buildings or to do it themselves
and charge her for the repairs. In September, GVSHP sent a letter to the
Department of Buildings Commissioner and the Landmarks Preservation Commission
Chair expressing extreme concern about the lack of progress after 11 months, and
asking that actions be taken to prevent further deterioration of the buildings
and ensure that work is done properly and expeditiously. They stressed the
desire to see the historic buildings restored to their original condition and
not torn down with facsimiles built in their place (CLICK
HERE FOR LETTER). The City has not yet responded.
“The landmarks law was
enacted to prevent ‘demolition by neglect’ – an owner getting rid of a historic
property by allowing it to deteriorate to the point of no return. We are not
there yet, but after a year we may be soon if Leibovitz or the City do not act,”
warned Berman. “Leibovitz should not be allowed to get away with being such a
flagrant scofflaw just because she is a celebrity,” he added.
-30-
Daily News
Coverage
New
York Post Coverage
Report from
The New York Times, 9-8-03
The Villager
Coverage
CLICK HERE FOR
SAMPLE LETTERS URGING THE PROPERTIES BE RESTORED |