City considers designation of five more houses today
Today the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held hearings on three Federal era (1790-1835) houses GVSHP had proposed for landmark designation — 94, 94 1/2, and 96 Greenwich Street, located just below the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan. These houses were built in 1798, making them among the oldest extant structures in Manhattan.
Today the LPC also voted to ‘calendar,’ or begin the official process of considering for landmark designation, two more federal houses at 486 and 488 Greenwich Street, just north of Canal Street, in Hudson Square. These houses were built in 1820, making them among the oldest surviving buildings in this rapidly changing area.
All five houses are part of a proposal for landmark designation of thirteen federal houses submitted to the City by the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation and the NY Landmarks Conservancy. Five of the houses have already been designated — 127, 129, and 131 MacDougal Street near Washington Square Park, 4 St. Mark’s Place in the East Village, and 67 Greenwich Street in the Financial District.
For more information and pictures of the federal houses, click here.
HOW TO HELP:
Write to the Landmarks Preservation Commission thanking them for today’s hearing and vote, and urge them to keep going! Click here for a sample letter you can use.