NoHo News Join our email list Jefferson Library GVSHP Mission East Village

Home : Preservation : Report Landmarks Violations

Site Map/Search

Reset Text Size Smaller Font Larger Font

Report Landmarks Violations

GVSHP’s “Preservation Watch” program—a way to help ensure that serious landmarks violations are reported and the landmarks law enforced, and to preserve our neighborhood’s historic integrity.

GVSHP wants to ensure that landmarks violations are reported and acted upon as swiftly and thoroughly as possible. That is why we want you to know how you can report a landmarks violation to the City, and how you can report it to GVSHP to help advocate for its solution.

If you see something which you believe may be a landmarks violation (destruction/inappropriate alteration of or unpermitted work upon a landmark structure or structure in a historic district), here’s what you can do:

See if there is a permit from the LPC posted (it should be on the front of the building, next to a permit from the Department of Buildings); if there is, and it describes the work you see being done, then it has been approved by the LPC

If there is no permit, confirm that it is a landmark structure or in a historic district (if you don’t know, click on map below of historic districts in Greenwich Village, the East Village, and NoHo to determine if the structure is in a district, or you can call GVSHP at (212) 475-9585 ext. 39 or e-mail to ask. If the building is not regulated by LPC, it does not need their permission for work, and the work cannot be a violation of landmarks law)

If you think it may be unpermitted work or work which violates landmarks law, report it to GVSHP right away, and we can help determine if it may be a violation, and help you report it and ask for an inspection as soon as possible.

If you are sure it is a violation of landmarks law, or the situation seems urgent and needs immediate attention, you can file a complaint and request an inspection. Or visit the LPC violations page for more information. Please forward a copy of your complaint/inspection request to GVSHP for us to follow up on.

If you believe the situation presents an imminent danger, call the police.

Click the map below for the link to an interactive map indicating historic district boundaries and individual landmarks in and around the Village, East Village, and NoHo.

  Connect with GVSHP:







Home : Preservation : Report Landmarks Violations

The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation : 232 East 11 Street, New York, NY 10003 : 212 475 9585 :


Credits, Copyright, Terms of Service, and Privacy Statements