NoHo News Join our email list Jefferson Library GVSHP Mission East Village

Home : Preservation : Tifereth Israel/Town & Village Synagogue

Site Map/Search

Reset Text Size Smaller Font Larger Font

Tifereth Israel/Town & Village Synagogue


Letter to new LPC chair urging action 07/22/14

Letter urging that LPC schedule a landmarking vote 07/03/14

GVSHP Testimony to LPC at landmarking hearing 03/25/14

Letter to LPC urging landmark designation 10/02/13

Built as a German Baptist Church in 1866 and converted to a Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church in 1926, 334 East 14th Street (1st/2nd Avenues) has served as the Tifereth Israel Town and Village Synagogue since 1962. Designed in a distinctive German Romanesque style displaying the roots of the original congregants, over time onion domes were added and crosses removed to reflect the building’s new occupants. In 1966, just a year after the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) was created, the building was ‘calendared’ and considered for landmark designation. For reasons no one seems to recall, the Commission never voted on the proposed designation, and the building remained in “landmarks limbo” for almost fifty years. After a campaign by GVSHP, preservationists, and local leaders, it was finally designated a New York City Landmark in October 2014.

  Connect with GVSHP:







Home : Preservation : Tifereth Israel/Town & Village Synagogue

The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation : 232 East 11 Street, New York, NY 10003 : 212 475 9585 :


Credits, Copyright, Terms of Service, and Privacy Statements