Block 642


Please note:  Building pictures may take some time to appear


113 Jane Street


Lot:  1

Address:  113-115 Jane St  (also 503-507 West St.)

N.B.:  582 - 7/31/1907

Completed:  1909

Architect:  Boring and Tilton

Original Owner:  American Seamen's Friend Society

Original Use:  home and hotel

Designated a New York City landmark in 1999.  One of 4 waterfront hotels in the Far West Village along West Street.  It is believed that the survivors of the Titanic were brought to here upon their arrival in New York.  Originally had a beacon on the octagonal tower.


Lot:  34

Address:  111 Jane St.

N.B.:  581 - 7/24/1873

Completed:  1875

Architect:  Samuel A. Warner

Original Owner:  F. W. Devoe

Original Use:  factory and workshops

This is the oldest of 2 former factory buildings surviving from the paint and color works of F. W. Devoe & Co, which encompassed much of the block until the 1920's. 1920 (Alt. #3283): converted to storage warehouse. 1985 (Alt. #1004): converted to multiple dwelling, with some facade alterations and addition of a penthouse.



Lot:  12

Address:  110-112 Horatio St.

N.B.:  906 - 9/1/1882

Completed:  1883

Architect:  Kimball and Wisedell

Original Owner:  F. W. Devoe

Original Use:  paint factory

This is the last building to be erected on the block by F. W. Devoe & Co. as a part of its paint and color works which encompassed most of the block from the 1870's to 1918.  1920 (Alt. #3283): converted to storage warehouse. 1984 (Alt. #854): converted to an annex of 114-118 Horatio St. Windows are new, but facade is otherwise largely intact.