106 East 13th Street; 106-108 East 13th Street | Block : 558 | Lot #11
Description & Building Alterations
106-108 East 13th Street is a 2-story firehouse constructed in 1928 for the NYFD (originally Hook & Ladder Co. No. 3) and designed by John R. Sliney. Plaques on the exterior of the building attest that this house lost most of its men responding to the September 11th attacks, making it one of the hardest-hit firehouses in the entire city. Hook & Ladder Co. No. 3 was first organized on September 11, 1865, originally located just west of here on 13th Street. Another plaque on the firehouse’s facade from its opening in 1929 proudly proclaims that it was commissioned by then-Mayor James J. (“Gentleman Jim”) Walker, one of New York’s most colorful mayors.
Block : 558 / Lot : 11 / Building Date : 1928 / Original Owner : New York City Fire Department / Original Use : Institutional / Original Architect : John R. Sliney