108 East 1st Street | Block : 429 | Lot #49
Description & Building Alterations
As evidenced by the tax records and map evidence this was a row house built 1840-41 and a rear building was constructed in 1853 (later demolished). As of the 1903 map it is identified as a synagogue. This is a three-story brick building with Romanesque elements and Gothic pointed arches, including four pilasters on the front above the first story, a rounded entrance arch and arched windows on the third and first stories. The stepped pediment at the top of the building is adorned with a Star of David, reflecting the building’s former use as a synagogue.
Block : 429 / Lot : 049 / Building Date : 1840-41/ Original Owner : George H. Rofs / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown