120 East 7th Street | Block : 434 | Lot #24
Description & Building Alterations
This Italianate six-story building was constructed in 1863. It is located in the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District, was one of four identical developments and has undergone some alterations. The lot was once part of William B. Astor’s holdings and was leased out in the 1860’s.
The present facade features a metal cornice, corbelled brick frieze, molded sills and lintels, a cornice above the ground-story and an entablature over the front entrance. Other historic details like a single lintel on the top-story have been removed and the storefront has been infilled. More information can be found in the Designation Report, linked in the “Additional Resources” section.
Block : 434 / Lot : 024 / Building Date : Front Building: 1863 Rear Building: 1907 / Original Owner : Front building: William B. Astor Rear building: Charles C. Schaefer / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Rear building: Frank Hausle