125 East 7th Street | Block : 435 | Lot #40
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story Italianate style pre-law tenement was erected in 1861 as a row with 123-129 East 7th Street. This building was part of the original holdings of John J. Astor. His heirs leased the lot in 1860 to Samuel Bessey and Thomas E. Tripler who constructed this building. This building and the adjacent building at 123 East 7th Street were rented by Theodore Wolinnin beginning in 1926 and subsequently purchased by him in 1937. He used the ground story for a funeral parlor and altered it after his purchase. He continued his ownership through the 1960s. A metal plaque on the wall commemorates this use.
The present facade features a bracketed metal cornice with paneled frieze, molded and footed window lintels and sills and simple stone cornice above ground story. The current stone-clad storefront has recessed ogee-arched openings that were the result of an alteration in 1938 designed by architect George W. Fleming.
Block : 435 / Lot : 040 / Building Date : 1861 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown