127 East 7th Street | Block : 435 | Lot #39
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story Italianate style pre-law tenement was erected in 1861. This building was part of the original holdings of John J. Astor. His heirs leased the lot in 1860 to Samuel Bessey and Thomas E. Tripler who constructed this building. His heirs began selling this property many years later, this one to Mary Jaeger in 1905.
The present facade features a bracketed iron cornice with paneled frieze, molded metal lintels and footed sills, and cast-iron pilasters flanking the entrance. Alterations include the replacement of windows and doors, new storefronts, non-historic light fixtures, and a replacement fire escape.
Block : 435 / Lot : 039 / Building Date : 1861 / Original Owner : Heirs of John J. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown