129 East 7th Street | Block : 435 | Lot #38
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story Italianate style pre-law tenement was erected in 1861. This building was part of the original holdings of John J. Astor. His heirs leased the lot in 1860 to Samuel Bessey and Thomas E. Tripler who constructed this building. The first sale of the building was to Conrad Siemon in 1898. The lot was once part of William B. Astor’s holdings and was leased out in 1860.
The present facade features a bracketed iron cornice, molded metal lintels and footed sills, and a historic fire escape. The first story storefront was removed in 1933 and replaced with a funeral home. During this alteration the first story was refaced with brick, doors and windows were moved, and a new ogee-arched entrance with stone enframements and quoining was added.
Block : 435 / Lot : 038 / Building Date : 1861 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown