144 Second Avenue; 300-308 East 9th Street | Block : 450 | Lot #8
Description & Building Alterations
This three-story brick building was originally erected between 1914 and 1915 as a movie theater with office space, designed by architect Louis A. Sheinart. In 1928, the building was converted to retail and office use. It was part of the Yiddish Theater District/Jewish Rialto during the early 20th century, and has housed the Ukrainian restaurant Veselka since 1954.
The western facade is clad in rusticated stone and features a bracketed cornice above the storefront and a large single bay at the upper stories with segmental-arched window opening, framed by festive garland decorations. The north facade features patterned brickwork, simple rectangular window sills, and glass brick on top of the storefront.
Block : 450 / Lot : 008 / Building Date : 1914-15 / Original Owner : Philip & Benjamin Menschel / Original Use : Commercial / Original Architect : Louis A. Sheinart