155 East 2nd Street | Block : 397 | Lot #11
Description & Building Alterations
Built in 1876, this Italianate pre-law tenement retains its curved window lintels and bracketed cornice. Although the raised stoop entrance has been removed, the original door surround is still present on what is now the second floor.
In 1908, the building was owned by St. John the Baptist Foundation, an Episcopal order of sisters who provided a school for girls, a shelter for women, and outreach programs for German immigrants. At that time, the basement and ground floor were converted into residential use. The building was further altered in 1939 when a new entrance and fire escapes were installed.
Block : 397 / Lot : 11 / Building Date : 1876 / Original Owner : Peter Cook / Original Use : Residential/Commerical / Original Architect : Unknown