Description & Building Alterations
This six-story tenement was constructed in 1915, replacing three mid-19th century buildings originally on site, including the building that housed the famous landmark Café Boulevard at No, 156. The Austro-Hungarian cafe was frequented by Baron Ferencz Béla Esterházy von Strakonitz, and the Czech composer Antonín Dvořá, among others. Later, the Second Avenue Deli was located on the first story, a famous kosher delicatessen founded by a Ukrainian immigrant named Abe Lebewohl.
The current building at 156-158 Second Avenue replaced a mansion built in 1840 as the rectory of the nearby St. Mark’s-in-the-Bowery Church. The church sold the building in 1874. More about this here.
The brick building features a stepped parapet, a bracketed roof cornice, a molded cornice above the first story, decorative panels and beltcourses, and carved entrance surrounds on the north facade. It follows an H-plan, which includes a deep light court over the 10th Street entrance and in the building’s rear. Architects Neville & Bagge are best known for designing the Dorchester at 131 Riverside Drive.
Block : 451 / Lot : 006 / Building Date : 1915 / Original Owner : Stuyvesant Square Realty Co. Inc. / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Neville & Bagge