169 Avenue A | Block : 438 | Lot #29
Description & Building Alterations
The four buildings at 165-171 Avenue A were constructed in 1880 designed by architect William Jose and owned by Louis Rallwagen. They shared an identical facade when completed. The ground floor was home to Brownies, which opened in 1989 as an Irish bar. In 1994 it became known as a venue for indie rock and hosted early gigs by The Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Liars before closing in 2002.
No. 169 features a bracketed cornice with paneled frieze, hooded window lintels, with neo Grec-style triangular pediments at the third story, footed sills, patterned brickwork and decorative beltcourses.
Block : 438 / Lot : 029 / Building Date : 1880 / Original Owner : Louis Rallwagen / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : William Jose