195 East 4th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #60
Description & Building Alterations
Between 1858-59, No. 195 was constructed along with the nine others in this row of identical five-story tenements with basements. The development of these buildings, which started at 193 and proceeded east down the block, was a speculative real estate investment of William B. Astor, who sold each building as soon as it was completed. Henry Bohls purchased this building from Astor.
This Italianate pre-law tenement has what appear to be replacement window lintels on the outer two window bays, while the inner two bays have been replaced with doors and smaller windows. It retains its pressed-metal cornice. In 1939 the cellar was connected to its neighbors — Nos. 201, 199, and 197 — and used to support a newspaper printing press. The cellar of this building was used for storage of newsprint paper.
Block : 400 / Lot : 60 / Building Date : 1858-59 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown