201 East 4th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #57
Description & Building Alterations
In 1859, No. 201 was constructed along with the nine others in this row of identical five-story tenements with basements. The development of these buildings, which started at 193 and proceeded east down the block, was a speculative real estate investment of William B. Astor, who sold each building as soon as it was completed. Bernard Amena purchased this building, along with its neighbor at No. 203, from Astor.
This Italianate pre-law tenement retains its original window lintels and sills but some of them have been wrapped in metal, changing the details and proportions. It has also lost its pressed-metal cornice. In 1939 the cellar and first floor were connected to the neighboring buildings — 199, 197 and 195 — and used to support a newspaper printing press. The cellar and first floor of 201 were used for storage of newsprint paper.
Block : 400 / Lot : 57 / Building Date : 1859 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown