203 East 4th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #56
Description & Building Alterations
In 1859, No. 203 was constructed along with the nine others in this row of identical five-story tenements with basements. The development of these buildings, which started at 193 and proceeded east down the block, was a speculative real estate investment of William B. Astor, who sold each building as soon as it was completed. Bernard Amena purchased this building from Astor.
This Italianate pre-law tenement retains its original window lintels and sills, but some of them have been wrapped in metal, changing the details and proportions. It has also lost its pressed-metal cornice. Half of the first floor is occupied by a store and the other half is an apartment. It is unclear when this alteration occurred, but it appears to have been in this configuration by 1949.
Block : 400 / Lot : 56 / Building Date : 1859 / Original Owner: William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown