205 East 4th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #55
Description & Building Alterations
In 1859, No. 205 was constructed along with the nine others in this row of identical five-story tenements with basements. The development of these buildings, which started at 193 and proceeded east down the block, was a speculative real estate investment of William B. Astor, who sold each building as soon as it was completed. Christian Uhl purchased this building from Astor.
This Italianate pre-law tenement’s projecting lintels have been altered, removing the slight projection from the upper portion, and they have been painted. The building also has lost its original cornice. In 1916 there were two families living on each floor above the first-floor store.
Block : 400 / Lot : 55 / Building Date : 1859 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown