207 East 4th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #54
Description & Building Alterations
In 1859, No. 207 was constructed along with the nine others in this row of identical five-story tenements with basements. The development of these buildings, which started at 193 and proceeded east down the block, was a speculative real estate investment of William B. Astor, who sold each building as soon as it was completed. Peter Feix purchased this building from Astor. In the 1960s, Swedish artist and sculptor Claes Oldenburg operated a store at this location.
This Italianate pre-law tenement’s projecting lintels have been altered, removing the slight projection from the upper portion. In an attempt at protecting some of the brownstone, several of the sills also appear to be wrapped in metal. The building still retains its cornice and an early storefront. Although the building had been painted at some point, it has mostly peeled off, revealing the original brick facade.
Block : 400 / Lot : 54 / Building Date : 1859/ Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown