211 East 4th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #52
Description & Building Alterations
In 1859, No. 211 and the nine buildings directly to the west of it were all constructed as five-story tenements with basements. The development of these buildings, which started at 193 and proceeded east down the block, was a speculative real estate investment of William B. Astor, who sold each building as soon as it was completed.
The lintels on this Italianate pre-law tenement have been altered: These are slightly larger than would have been found originally. The center window openings have been altered, with the lintels removed. The facade and lintels have been painted, making the building have a strong contrast that was not part of the original aesthetic. It does retain its distinctive pressed-metal cornice. Of the 10 buildings, No. 211 is the narrowest at only three bays wide. It was also the last in the row to be constructed. Upon completion of the building, Jacob Held purchased it from William B. Astor.
Block : 400 / Lot : 52 / Building Date : 1859 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown