212 East 9th Street | Block : 464 | Lot #16
Description & Building Alterations
212 East 9th Street was built between 1849 and 1850 as a third-class industrial brick building. It has been heavily altered and now reflects more of the 1922 changes. An 1881 application to add an extension of twenty feet to the rear of the building indicates that space was being occupied as a mechanical shop. In 1922, the cellar was used for storage, the first floor was used as a machine shop, and the second and third floors were factory space. By 1939, the cellar was used for storage, the first floor was used as a garage for five autos, and the second and third floors were used as a factory.
Block : 464 / Lot : 16 / Building Date : 1849-50 / Original Owner : John L. Smith / Original Use : Industrial / Original Architect : Unknown