214-216 East 9th Street | Block : 464 | Lot #7501
Description & Building Alterations
The current building was the result of an alteration completed in 1989 of two 19th century structures. No. 216 was built in 1870 originally as a 3 story structure, replacing a stable. It was owned by Mitchell Halliday. No. 214 was built in 1878 originally as a 3 story structure replacing a slaughter house. It was owned by C. Kearny.
In 1882, according to tax records, both buildings were raised to 4 stories and owned by C. Kearny. They are identified on a historic map as “storage warehouse” type. By 1918, the building was operating as a four-story garage and later converted into residential apartments.
Block : 464 / Lot : 7501/Old Lot 18 / Building Date : 1870 (no. 216), 1878 (no. 214)/1989 alt. / Original Owner : Mitchell Halliday (no. 216), C. Kearny (no. 214) / Original Use : Commercial/Industrial / Original Architect : Unknown