232-238 East 12th Street | Block : 467 | Lot #25
Description & Building Alterations
This nine-story building was constructed in 1929 as a nurses’ home. The building included dining rooms, social rooms, offices, an auditorium, a movie theater, library, classrooms, a laboratory, and dormitory rooms for the nurses.
From 1934 until the 1950s and presumably beyond, the building was owned by the Home of the Sons and Daughters of Israel. A synagogue was installed on the first floor and part of the second floor of the building. In addition, a morgue was built in the basement. By the 1980s, the building was converted into apartments.
Block : 467 / Lot : 25 / Building Date : 1929 / Original Owner : St. Marks Hospital of New York City / Original Use : Institutional / Original Architect : Crow, Lewis & Wick