242 East 7th Street | Block : 376 | Lot #13
Description & Building Alterations
This two-story building was constructed as a synagogue in 1908 by architects Gross & Kleinberger, who were tenement architects. It was opened by the Hungarian Congregation of Beth Hamedrash Hagadol Anshe Ungarn, or the Great House of Study of the People of Hungary. It is associated with the Jewish immigrants who lived in the Lower East Side, who developed vital communities and religious organizations. The congregation left this building in 1975, and in 1985 the building was converted to apartments.
This building is designed in a Classical Revival style, with a strong pediment with dentils and two stories of pilasters. The entrance and windows are encased in rounded arches and create symmetrical bays. The second and first stories are separated by a cornice-like belt course and dentils. The Landmarks Preservation Commission granted this building landmark status in March of 2008.
Block : 376/ Lot : 013 / Building Date : 1908 / Original Owner : Cong. of Beth Hamedrash Hagadol Anshe Ungarn / Original Use : Institutional / Original Architect : Gross & Kleinberger