244 East 9th Street; 141-143 Second Avenue | Block : 464 | Lot #34
Description & Building Alterations
This twenty-family six story new law tenement was constructed in 1903 by Alfred Badt for owner Samuel Barkin. The highly decorative facade features a variety of ornate window lintels and enframements. Significant architectural details include splayed lintels, scrolled keystones, engaged columns with ionic capitals, diaperwork panels, and arched pediments. There is a bracketed cornice at the roofline. The storefronts have been refaced. This building has a large interior court to accommodate the “new law” requirements.
Alfred E. Badt was a prolific tenement designer who designed over 200 tenements and synagogues for Jewish developers including Herman Horenburger, Schneider & Herter, and Charles B. Meyers. He produced the Pike Street Synagogue at 13 Pike Street. Most of his tenements were constructed in 1901, the year many developers attempted to build to avoid the restrictions of the impending Tenement House Act.
Block : 464 / Lot : 34 / Building Date : 1903 / Original Owner : Samuel Barkin / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Alfred E. Badt