276-278 East 7th Street | Block : 376 | Lot #31
Description & Building Alterations
This building is one of three 24 family tenements that was erected in 1898 by Michael Hanlon at a cost of $25,000 each. The six story, five bay wide building features stone details in the window lintels and sills, incised brick detailing, and a modillioned cornice. The first floor of the building has been painted purple with black detailing. In 1938 the buildings were altered by having their stops removed and replacing them with iron stairs as well as constructing a new brick chimney between the buildings at 272 and 274 East 7th Street.
This was one of two buildings on 7th Street that failed to enter the Tenant Interim Lease program in the 1980s when the landlord abandoned the building, and so it became a squat. It is one of the buildings that the City entered into a 2002 deal turning ownership over to the residents.
Block : 376 / Lot : 031 / Building Date : 1898 / Original Owner : Michael Hanlon / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Rosenburger & Straub