289 East 3rd Street | Block : 373 | Lot #61
Description & Building Alterations
This highly altered building was constructed in 1839 for Robert Malcomb as a three-story row house, though its original (likely Greek Revival) facade has been replaced. In 1919 it was converted into a synagogue for the Congregation Yachzikei Hadas Anshei Zlorzom, and in 1965 it became a church for the American Christian Missionary Society of New York. A sanctuary was located on the ground floor and mezzanine, a meeting room was on the second floor, and a library was on the third.
While it is unclear when the facade was altered, an alteration permit number for 1965 appears on the Department of Buildings page for this address. Given that the American Christian Missionary Society owned the building in that year, it is highly possible that the current facade dates to 1965. Either way, this facade is visible in the 1980s tax photo (see sidebar).
The building now houses the Iglesia Cristiana Monte Hermon.
Block : 373 / Lot : 061 / Building Date : 1839, alt. 1965 / Original Owner : American Christian Missionary Society of New York / Original Use : Religious / Original Architect : Unknown