323 East 10th Street | Block : 404 | Lot #44
Description & Building Alterations
This five story tenement was constructed in 1890 by owner B. F. Ayres, and designed by architect/builder Benjamin E. Lowe, a common architect of the area.
The Romanesque Revival facade features a rusticated brownstone ground level and projecting entrance enframements. The cornice consists of double brackets separating a series of dentils. The fifth story windows are surrounded by rounded arches, which are repeated throughout the building in the rounded arched, decorated terra cotta tympanums. The projecting brick piers are topped by terra cotta capitals.
The inscription on the ground level frieze reads “Bonsall”, after Robert Bonsall, whose family owned several lots on this block beginning in the 1840s. When this building was constructed, it was a home for wayward boys.
Block : 404 / Lot : 044 / Building Date : 1890 / Original Owner : B. F. Ayres, et. al. / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Benjamin E. Lowe