324 East 6th Street | Block : 447 | Lot #18
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story with basement tenement was built in 1863 by the heirs of Stephen Whitney, who purchased many properties on this block in 1825, same with the buildings next to it. Whitney’s heirs sold the building and many adjacent lots to Joseph Buttenweiser in 1907. This building is Italianate with Renaissance Revival elements.
The present facade features an elaborate bracketed iron cornice, brick frieze, and segmentally arched stone lintels on the window openings and entrance. The storefront has been replaced.
Block : 447 / Lot : 018 / Building Date : 1863 / Original Owner : Heirs of Stephen Whitney / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown