33 St. Mark’s Place | Block : 464 | Lot #43
Description & Building Alterations
This lot was was acquired from the Stuyvesant family by Thomas E. Davis, who sold larger lots of Federal row houses to meet the demand for homes “above Bleecker.” No. 33 St. Mark’s Place was built in 1833 as a three story row house and extended to five stories in 1873 (as per tax records). This change was most likely an alteration rather than a new building.
This building once housed the Manic-Panic punk-rock clothing store, purportedly the first U.S. boutique to do so. It also held “Ray’s Occult Books,” featured in the movie Ghostbusters. The building is nearly unrecognizable today, as the white paint has been stripped from the natural brick exterior and a staircase has been built, among other changes. Poet Anne Waldman and her husband, the writer and published Lewis Warsh lived in this building from 1966 until 1969. Poet Anne Waldman was the Poetry Project’s first secretary in 1966, editor of the in-house magazine The World, and director of the Poetry Project, a position she held until 1978. Warsh was also part of the community of writers centered around the Poetry Project at St. Mark’s Church.
Block : 464 / Lot : 43 / Building Date : 1833/1873 alt. / Original Owner : Thomas E. Davis/Cook & Weiler / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Unknown