340 East 6th Street | Block : 447 | Lot #26
Description & Building Alterations
This Renaissance Revival-style six-story tenement was built in 1908 for stores on the first floor and in the cellar, in addition apartments for 22 families. Like many others on the block, this lot was part of the extensive holdings of Stephen Whitney and his heirs. It was sold to Joseph Buttenweiser in 1907, who then sold it to Kittenplan & Rubinger, who constructed this building.
Its facade features an entrance enframement with original transom and doors, cast-iron columns on the ground floor, flat-arch window lintels with keystones, arched pediments above the center windows, and an original metal bracketed cornice with frieze.
Block : 447 / Lot : 026 / Building Date : 1908 / Original Owner : Kittenplan & Rubinger / Original Use : Residential / Original Architect : Lafayette A. Goldstone