431 East 6th Street | Block : 434 | Lot #42
Description & Building Alterations
This neo-Classical four-story building was constructed in 1851. It is located in the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District and has undergone quite a few alterations, most importantly when it was converted into a synagogue in 1927.
The present facade features stone window sills, a brick parapet with panels and pediment, an original transom over the door and a panel with the name of the synagogue engraved over the door. Alterations have led to the shaving of features including panels on either side of the center window on the second story, addition of windows on the third story and alterations to the front entrance. More information can be found in the Designation Report, linked in the “Additional Resources” section
Block : 434 / Lot : 042 / Building Date : 1851 / Original Owner : American Life and Trust Co./ Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown