437 East 6th Street | Block : 434 | Lot #39
Description & Building Alterations
This Italianate five-story tenement was constructed in 1860. It is located in the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District and was one of a row of five buildings and part of the John J. Astor holdings. Deed records show that it was leased by William B. Astor in the 1860’s.
The present facade features molded metal lintels, a few footed sills, a galvanized-iron frieze and stone moldings on the ground-story cornice. More information can be found in the Designation Report, linked in the “Additional Resources” section
Block : 434 / Lot : 039 / Building Date : 1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor/ Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown