506 East 5th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #9
Description & Building Alterations
This row of nine identical buildings (506-524 East 5th Street) was built for owner William B. Astor as investment properties in 1859-1860. They each housed eight families above a ground-floor store. These Italianate tenements had arched, brownstone lintels and simple, projecting sills and would have had raised stoop entrances. No. 506 still retains its cornice, but has been stuccoed over, partially obscuring the original lintels and sills, and several windows have lost their ornament entirely. The small windows in the center of the facade were added in the 1930s. The ground-floor shops have been replaced with apartments.
Block : 400 / Lot : 9 / Building Date : Front Building: 1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown