506 East 6th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #13
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story pre-law Italianate tenement was built in 1859-1860 as one in a row of 12 identical tenements by wealthy landowner and developer William B. Astor. This row was built in conjunction with another matching row of tenements between Nos. 193 and 209 East 4th Street that Astor built the same year.
Most of the details have been lost on this building’s facade, including the window lintels and the cornice. Additionally, the ground-floor shops were converted to apartments, and that entire level has been covered in stucco and painted.
Block : 401 / Lot : 013 / Building Date : 1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown