509 East 6th Street | Block : 402 | Lot #61
Description & Building Alterations
This building is a five-story “pre-law” tenement likely built in 1860. It has the same Italianate cornice as many of the neighboring buildings. The original storefront and lintels are gone and a series of small windows have been installed in the facade between the center and right window bays. This indicates the placement of an added bathroom installed in 1912. Small triangular marks on the corners of the large lintels show the profile of the molding of the original lintels.
Block : 402 / Lot : 061 / Building Date : 1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown