510-512 East 6th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #15
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story pre-law Italianate tenement was built in 1859-1860 as one in a row of 12 identical tenements by wealthy landowner and developer William B. Astor. The row was built in conjunction with another matching row of tenements between Nos. 193 and 209 East 4th Street that Astor built the same year.
In 1860 the left portion, or number 512, was used as military housing. In 1940 the two buildings were combined into one larger building, with many of the facade details removed or altered. The pressed-metal cornices were replaced with a larger parapet wall with brick laid in a projecting diaper pattern. The lintels were removed from the windows and the ground-floor shops were converted into apartments. Most of the facade also was painted.
Block : 401 / Lot : 015 / Building Date : 1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown