511 East 5th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #58
Description & Building Alterations
This pre-law tenement is part of a row of 13 speculative tenements developed by William B. Astor in 1859-60. The first three have a smaller footprint; No. 511 is the last of the three smaller buildings. The construction began on the western portion of the block and moved east.
This Italianate tenement retains its brownstone lintels and wood cornice. Also still intact are the fire balconies, an alternative to fire escapes that often are replaced with the more practical fire escapes. The small windows were likely installed in 1907.
Block : 401 / Lot : 058 / Building Date : 1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown