512 East 5th Street | Block : 400 | Lot #12
Description & Building Alterations
This row of nine identical buildings (506-524 East 5th Street) was built for owner William B. Astor as investment properties in 1859-1860. They each housed eight families above a ground-floor store. These Italianate tenements had arched, brownstone lintels and simple, projecting sills and would have had raised stoop entrances. No. 512 was not painted, so the brick and brownstone can be seen, but the original cornice has been lost. The small windows that were inserted into the facade in 1918 have been bricked over, but are still visible. The ground-floor shops were replaced with apartments in 1966.
Block : 400 / Lot : 12 / Building Date : 1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown