517 East 5th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #55
Description & Building Alterations
This pre-law tenement is part of a row of 13 speculative tenements developed by William B. Astor in 1859-60. The latter 10 of the buildings were constructed using one plan, with only minor alterations in details as material availability changed. Construction began on the western portion of the block and moved eastward. Although originally designed in the Italianate style like its sister buildings, No. 517 has been completely remodeled. With the lintels removed, the facade was stuccoed and scored to resemble stonework. The cornice and raised stoop have also been removed. In 1939 the ground-floor shops were replaced with apartments.
Block : 401 / Lot : 055 / Building Date : 1860 (altered) / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown