519 East 5th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #54
Description & Building Alterations
Built as a row of 13 speculative tenements developed by William B. Astor in 1859-60, the last 10 buildings, including No. 519, were constructed using the same plan with only minor alterations as material availability changed. The construction began on the western portion of the block and moved eastward.
Designed in the Italianate style, this building’s lintels have been shaved down and the entire facade was painted, altering the appearance. The small middle windows were likely installed in 1918. In 1941 the first floor was converted into apartments and the raised-stoop entrance was likely removed at this same time.
Block : 401 / Lot : 054 / Building Date : 1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown