522 East 6th Street | Block : 401 | Lot #21
Description & Building Alterations
This five-story pre-law Italianate tenement was built in 1859-1860 as one in a row of 12 identical tenements by wealthy landowner and developer William B. Astor. This row was built in conjunction with another matching row of tenements between Nos. 193 and 209 East 4th Street that Astor built the same year.
The lintels have been shaved down and the ground-floor shops were converted to apartments in 1937. The cornice is retained, but it is interesting to note that it looks different than the kind used on the western portion of this row of tenements and the tenements on East 4th Street.
Block : 401 / Lot : 021 / Building Date : 1859-1860 / Original Owner : William B. Astor / Original Use : Residential/Commercial / Original Architect : Unknown